Trim problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim problem

What's going on. Need a second opinion on what i believe my trim problem is.

I have twim 60 hp 1998 johnson motors

The trim on one of my motors had been getting weaker and yesterday it no longer works. It would have no problems going up but bringing the engine down I would have to assist it with a lot of pushing power. Now after several months of it getting progressively weaker it will no longer go up or down! This is what I've tried: ALL the wiring is good from the switch down to the trim motor, fluid is good, relay has been checked, swapped several things to check if they work on the good motor and they do. I hear electrical clicking sounds when I try the switch to move the motor. I believe it is the trim motor that went bad. Any suggestions or is my thought about the trim motor going bad correct?

The trim motor sounds like a logical problem. You can test by connecting the trim motor directly to a power source.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Thank you. I tested that out and still nothing.
      I'm going to order the motor. Just to double check this is the actual motor correct?
      0434495 MOTOR & O-RING AY

Thank you very much

Comment

Yes that is correct one.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

So ran into another problem. In the Mid section power tilt and trim the sending unit assembly Arm piece broke off. When I installed the motor it worked but after the arm snapped off from the send unit assembly the hydraulic trim stopped working. Is there a sensor in the sending unit or could there be another reason the trim is still not working.

Comment

Trim sender only operates trim gauge, need to check for other problems.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Could I get a few common problems so I could start trouble shooting and double checking

Comment

Check relays. See if you are getting power to the switches, make sure switches are suppling power. Go through the normal tests.
                Regards
                Boats.net
                Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
                X