Newbie with J50PLSRS problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie with J50PLSRS problem

Ive just bought a boat with a 2004 40 hp J50PLSRS outboard which has a gearbox leak and as yet I have no service manual for it. Firstly does the bearing housing come out of the casing easily as I suspect the o ring is the problem and secondly where do I disconnect the gear shift to enable me to remove the lower leg so I can check the upper seals and water pump, thanks Jeff

The bearing housing should slide right out, depends on the condition of the lower unit. Heat may be required.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

gear shift linkage

Can you tell me where the gear shift linkage splits so I can drop the lower leg, thanks, Jeff

Comment

Disconnect it where connects to shift linkage just below front of engine.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Shift linkage

I had a look and it seems to be inaccessible. Does the lower engine cover have to be removed to get to it ?

Comment

Yes remove port side lower engine cover.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
              Yes remove port side lower engine cover.
              Thanks, possibly I'm barking up the wrong tree here as this is my first Johnson it may be normal for it. Whats happening is that quite a substantial amount of oil is leaking out of the prop area after parking up from a run. This never happened with my Yamaha and Honda O/B's and I am now of the opinion that possibly the engine is being over oiled by the fuel / oil pump which would give the symptoms I described but maybe its something that I will have to live with or possibly I can override the automatic system and try mixing fuel / oil manually to verify this. I believe this is possible but I dont know how to achieve it. As I said I'm not a 2 stroke virgin but this problem is new to me. If you can tell me how to get the unit to operate manually without the warnings / alarms going off I would appreciate it then I will test it by manually mixing fuel / oil.

Comment

To my knowledge there is no way to test the oil output. There is a premix kit available for your motor.

5007422 KIT,PREMIX PMP&LMT $341.52
                Regards
                Boats.net
                Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks, I will monitor things for a while before I do anything further

Comment

Working...
                  X