1987 Johnson J200TXCUC lost power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 Johnson J200TXCUC lost power

First off, I was underway and cruising at approx 4500rpm when the motor lost power and slowed to a stop then cut off immediately. I then let it set for 10 minutes and tried to start and as I turned the key all of the gauges/fish finder/gps would cut out and motor would not turn over. Maybe a coincidence but I turned battery switch to all and then it started. Motor sounded fine but as I got on plane and cruised at 3000rpm for 10 minutes it started to make a rattling noise and I slowed it to idle speed and limped back to dock. Anyone have any suggestions on where to begin? I haven't tried to start it for the last couple of days but was going to inspect spark plugs then do a compression check. Could it have been a dead battery while underway? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks

I would start with the compression test, does not sound good. Post your results.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Well, I was able to get a compression tool and checked with the following results WOT (cold) from top of motor to bottom/each side.

Starboard 93 psi, 100 psi and 98 psi.
      Port side 106 psi, 75 psi and 100 psi.

I do see that the problem is on the middle cylinder on the port side (75 psi). I will pull the head on the port side to see the obvious damage. Lets say that piston is toast, what is/are solutions to repairing? With the top cylinder being 106 psi, could something from this cylinder be causing such a higher psi reading or visa versa? Another thought is that I haven't de-carbed this motor since purchase (July 2012) and not sure if previous owner did either. Should I perform de-carb now or wait until pulling head? Trying not to damage motor if I crank it with low cylinder. Also, a carb rebuild (x6) was to come soon just for my own precautions.

Thanks again for input/thoughts.

Comment

The other readings should be accurate. Depending on the cylinder damaged depends on how large of an oversized piston is required. I recommend rebuilding the entire block, as opposed to just that cylinder.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X