1985 johnson 150 gas pickup problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 johnson 150 gas pickup problems

heys guys i got this motor a couple months ago and have had this problem with the motor that it takes forever for the motor the get a continous gas flow. The previous owner had installed a fuel water separator inline without changing anything. I replaced all the gas lines and took out the original fuel filters and left the fuel water separator in with a new filter. This helped slightly but i still have this problem and it takes a while to get it started when i take it out. once i have it going though it is good for the rest of the day. I am thinking either the fuel pump is just old or something in the carburetor is messing up such as the fuel check valve? Any feed back is greatly appreciated thank you.

If the fuel primer bulb is collasping then have a blockage in fuel hoses, filters or pickup tube in gas tank, if sucking air from any of those places then primer bulb would not pump gas.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

it doesn't collapse but it does lose a little pressure until it starts.

Comment

You will loose a little pressure in the primer bulb when the engine starts. It is not uncommen for those motors to be hard starting when they are cold. If you pump the primer, the carburetors are getting the fuel. Verify your primer assembly is working properly.
        Last edited by boats.net; 11-14-2012, 12:39 PM.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

I did check the primer assembly and it is working well i can hear gas spraying into the carbs when i pump it up

Comment

Be sure to pump it till it is hard.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X