Newbie - 50esl71s waterpump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie - 50esl71s waterpump

This is the 1st boat I've owned. It's a 1971 15' trihull bowrider with a 50hp Johnson. How can I tell if the water pump is working properly? I can't see any "pee holes" on the motor. I've started it up with muffs but don't see any water squirting out anywhere different.

Your engine doesn't have a tell-tale, you can add one if you want, when running on a hose the water will come out of the center of the prop. You might get a little out of the exhaust ports, but not much.

Comment

Thanks, there is water coming out of the center of the prop. Is there a link that shows how to add a pee hole? I just don't want to run the risk of overheating the motor.

Comment

Every engine is a little different, take a look at this site, it has good information and you should be able to adapt it to your engine.
        Johnson/evinrude adding a tell tale

Comment

Thanks again, I just finished the modification and it works like a charm. I ordered the part numbers listed on the link and they gave me a one piece "plastic" elbow to thread into the water jacket. He said it will be fine - I hope it dosen't melt.

Comment

You will be fine, the factory uses plastic. If it melts you have other problems, like the water pump is not working.

Comment

Working...
            X