1984 60hp gearing problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1984 60hp gearing problem.

Hello, I am new to boating, I bought a Shetland black hawk with a 1984 60 hp Johnson, I got her in the water on Friday and first thing I realised she was not connecting with reverse gear at all just going up on the revs (prob not moving) then in forward the prop would move at idle speed and as soon as you increase the rpm she jumps out of gear and starts grinding, I lifted the lid on the outboard and saw that in forward the gear leaver was jumping. I have heard it could be a clutch dog although not sure about the reverse, any help would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks.

You should check your throttle and shift cables. Disconnect the cable and manually place motor in gear, both forward and reverse. If the unit works fine that way, you either have bad adjustments or need new cables.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

i will give it a go and let you know,

Thanks

Comment

The shift cables do not seem to have enough play in them although she will go into reverse gear manually and hold but you need to put a lot of pressure on forward for it to hold, would this be a problem with ware in the gearbox?

Comment

Yes could be have some binding in the lower unit.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
          X