Johnson 175 , spark issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson 175 , spark issue

Thanks in advance for the help, just found this site.
    Have a 96 175 johnson, my son saw some smoke under dash, the black ground wire had melted, and had done so all the way back to the engine. Only thing I wrong can find is the battery leads were very loose, it got so hot the terminals melted on top, both pos and neg. spent a weekend tracing the wire, and replaced it all the way back, and taped , repaired anything it melted or burned.

Now, it will not start. sometimes it will try to hit once, even backfired once., but most of time no. I pulled plugs and grounded them but could see no spark. Replaced the starter switch because it had been acting up and was sticky, but did not fix problem. Replaced plugs , replaced switch.
    Where to from here??
    appears it will fire sometime, but not enough to run.
    it did crank one time, but quit after about 5 minutes.

Good mechanics here are rare, and expensive.
    What is best guess, did the hot ground ruin the power pack?

It is possible that the short did ruin the powerpack. You can test all of the other ignition components. Also verify that the safety lanyard switch is working properly.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

the switch would allow it to crank without lanard enguaged prior to this incident , so I replaced the switch , first thing.
      which parts do I check and in what order

Comment

Does not mater the order in which you check, just check all the ignition components. You will require a service manual.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X