2001 Johnson 40 hp with low compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Johnson 40 hp with low compression

Motor was having a rough time idling a few months back so I did a compression test and everything looked good, both cylinders at 130 psi. So, I limped along for a little longer.

Two weeks ago I decided to flush out the carbs with some Seafoam and carb cleaner to see if that would help. Mixed gallon of gas with 2-3oz of Seafoam and ran that through it in a couple 15 minute cycles to clean out everything. While doing that I also sprayed some carb cleaner in the carbs. After all was done, the motor was running great on the ear muffs. I took the boat to the river the next day and adjusted the jets some and got it idling great and took it out for a ride. Engine performed great and ran it WOT for about 45 with no problems.

This past weekend I headed back to river to fish and the boat started up great and ran perfect the first two runs of the morning. Then on the third run, the boat wouldn't get up on plane and the engine began bogging down. Got back to the dock and tried a couple things but engine would die at anything less than half WOT. When I got in that afternoon I did another compression test and the top cylinder was still 130 but the bottom has dropped to 85.

Any one have any suggestions on what could be happening? I think the de-carb I did might have caused a ring to stick. Also, I am attaching a pic of the plugs I pulled out. The plug on the right is out of the low compression cylinder and it has a lot of buildup on it that wasn't there a few months back.

Thanks for the help!

Carburetor could have leaned out the bottom cylinder causing the loss of compression.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X