Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 115 4 stroke - constant alarm

2004 115hp Johnson 4 stroke:

When I turn the ignition key to on (before cranking motor) the alarm horn sounds continuously. When I start the motor, the 'system check guage' never attempts to cycle through its lights (no lights ever light).

With the key just 'on':

I have checked the ground (tan wire) on the alarm horn - it does not go to ground. When I jumper the +12V to the alarm horn disconencting the tan wire - horn doesn't sound - so assume horn OK

At the connect to the alarm horn, I have 'looked back' towards the motor. The return wire (not +12V) has some continuity to ground, but it shows some resistence.

Can the 'system check guage' be bad and cause this?

If someone can tell me where the temperature/oil sensors are, I can check them. If there is only 1 wire on them, should it be ground? If 2 wires 1 ground 1 not?

If it is not any of those other than a shorted wire - could it be the control module (I HOPE NOT).

Thanks for any suggestions

The temp sensor is a two wire, the oil sensor is a single wire. I am unsure of the locations. Usually the temp sensor is located in the head.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Please some more help

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
      The temp sensor is a two wire, the oil sensor is a single wire. I am unsure of the locations. Usually the temp sensor is located in the head.
      Found the temp sensors - assume there are 2(?) each having 2 black wires. Any idea what the resistance should be when I disconnect them at the connector and look back at the sensor?

Also think I found the oil pressure sensor - appears to be located near the front of the motor having 1 wire that looks like it has a non removable spade connector which is threaded on the sensor. Again any idea what should be the resistance when measured to ground?

Anyone know if a bad system check guage can cause this issue?

Thanks

Comment

Unfortunately I do not have access to the ohm readings for this model.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X