1990 4hp Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 4hp Johnson

Hi all, I'm a new member looking for help seperating the gearcase from the shaft to access water pump. Is there a shift rod disconnect somewhere or just shaft corroded? Any help is appreciated. Model J4RESSR. Thanks,Rob

Yes you need to disconnect the shift shaft. This model may require you to remove the power head.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

1990 4hp Johnson

Thanks for the help but I still can't separate the drive shaft from the crankshaft. Any tricks? I've tried heat and cold. Thanks in advance. Rob

Comment

Even when removing the power head? Put the engine on a stand, release the motor all the way down and using a cherry picker, lift the motor of the midsection. Verify all bolts are removed prior to lifting the engine off.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

1990 4 hp Johnson

Hi again, thanks for the help so far. The power head was easily removed but again the drive shaft is stuck in the power head(crankshaft). This is a splined shaft and should come out right, It's impossible to do a water pump job and assemble without this shaft removed. We tried heat, cold, big hammer still no luck. Any ideas on removing this. Thanks again, Rob

Comment

If you removed the power head the drive shaft should not be stuck. Be sure you have removed all the lower unit bolts and shift shaft. The drive shafts usually get stuck in the powerhead. If still stuck try a wood pole and press the drive shaft down. Yes the lower unit will need to be removed to change the water pump.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

1990 4 hp Johnson

OK America I finally got the shaft out of the power head with lots of heat. The lower crankshaft bearing was melted and needs to be replaced. Thanks everyone. Rob

Comment

Working...
              X