1998 60hp loses lower cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 60hp loses lower cylinder

1998 60hp johnson loses lower cylinder after running great for 10 minutes. new coil was installed. powerpack has been switched with another motor...same result. compression has been checked....all the same. flywheel was pulled and everything looks good. any help? thanks.
    Last edited by springer; 08-06-2012, 07:00 PM.

Have you actually checked spark when the unit looses power?
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

60HP LOSES power

yes. it becomes hit and miss. it seems to work when it cools down and then goes out or hit and miss(intermitten-sp) after i run it for a short time. thanks. i ran the other boat we swapped the powerpack with, today. it had no problems running, so we're thinking it's not the p-pack. thanks. new---we swapped timer bases with the other motor and now, the boat runs fine in full throttle but in idle, after a couple of minutes of trolling speed, it quits. we did it several times; always the same result.....quits running after idling for a couple minutes.
      Last edited by springer; 08-07-2012, 11:22 PM.

Comment

The running then quit is likely fuel related. Check the timing, be sure the carburetors are properly adjusted and synced. It does start right back up right?
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

60hp loses power

yes, it starts right back up. starts great, as a matter of fact. we replaced the powerpack with the original. today. i ran it for quite awhile. ran great and idled better, but still quit after idling in gear for awhile. i started reving it up when it started to die and after that, it seemed to idle in gear great. a couple of times, it would loses 200 rpm during idle and the idle would smooth out and then quit running after a bit. any of this make sense? thanks. oh, a few days ago, i changed the fuel filter.

Comment

Yes, you should resync and adjust carburetors.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X