83 25hp has a bad hesitation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 83 25hp has a bad hesitation

My 1983 Johnson seahorse 25 has a horrible hesitation when idling but not when running full throttle. It also hesitates for about 1-2 sec when u put the shifter from slow to fast. It is mixed 50:1 with premium fuel. Has new carburetor kit and such. The only thing is where the throttle cable connect on the left side there is a lot of play from being worn out and old. Also when I put it in high idle with the separate control it dosent rev up to much faster. You can move the throttle about 1 inch more on the motor head to where it is supposed to be at high idle. Also how do I set the timing on the motor without a test wheel. I believe this is my hesitation. I would take it to a marine shop but I don't want to have to cut my leg off to pay the bill. Thanks, Mahanoy

You can set idle and pickup timing without a test wheel, start with that.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

I set the idle with the screw on top of the carb but how do I do the timing?

Comment

It is adjusted threw the throttle control cam.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

How do you adjust the cam? Also is there two throttle adjustments?

Comment

There is only one throttle adjustment and there is not much of an adjustment you will see the linkages on the starboard side.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

I tried to time it but I could not get it to advance enough in a 55 gal drum. How am I supposed to do it

Comment

You should be able to run through the full rpm range in a 55 gal drum. Do not put into gear.
                Regards
                Boats.net
                Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
                X