What propeller for my 1978 70HP Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What propeller for my 1978 70HP Johnson

I thought I would find this in the FAQ but wasn't able to. I also tried using the find your prop on this website, but it lists like 25 or so props for my motor. So hoping the wisdom of the group can help
    The 1978 Johnson 70HP 3 Cyl I just bought came with no prop. I have a 1974 Starcraft 16' Holiday runabout which weighs in around 600 pounds. I mainly use it for fishing, not waterskiing or towing tubes. I need good fuel economy and am not all that concerned about speed, it is plenty fast with the old 40HP that I used to have on it. So I would like a prop that gives me good performance at 3/4 throttle to save gas. There are usually a max of three people in it, so about 500 pounds plus fuel and battery. It is a 13 spline shaft. I used the boatnet chat gizmo and the guy told me the standard prop for the motor was supposed to be 13x19. A buddy of mine said it should be more like 14 x 17 but he has a pontoon boat so I am thinking his pitch is smaller to keep the revs up on a slower kind of boat... Any help?

Best to take it to a dealer that can water test it with different props to find a prop that will run in rpm range for that motor and find one that will work for you and the way you will using boat.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

13x19 is hard to twist on that combo with a load, and it may spin low RPM's at WOT. 13.25x17 should tach out in the 5000-5200 range and give fuel economy at 3/4 throttle. 15 pitch is great for heavy load and easy planing. But you have to see what your WOT tach readings are with a 15". My service manual, and one OMC dealer, said something about the 17" being standard prop. Good baseline to start at. I'm running a 13.75 x 15 on my 1978-70hp Johnson. It will also handle the 17" BRP new prop. but is slower out of the hole than i'd like.

Comment

Working...
      X