1976 70 hp synchronize fuel and ignition system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1976 70 hp synchronize fuel and ignition system

I have a 1976 70hp Johnson sea horse thats been sitting for about 5 years. I've done some work to it including: replace plugs, fuel pump, thermostate, clean and rebuilt carbs, replace all fuel lines, check spark and the compresion on all 3 cylinders all are good. Ive workd on cars for 10 years but I am not familiar with carbs. I also purchased the manual for this motor but I dont understand the procedure for synchronizing the fuel and ignition system. If anyone can break it down to simple terms it would be greatly appreciated. The motor runs with a slight sputter, but it runs. After it warms up I would shut it off and try to restart it. It starts in neutral but when I shift into forward it shuts off (this is while its in the water not with a flush hose or a test tank). If I continue cranking and shifting, it will eventually run in forward but it takes about 30 minutes.
    Last edited by jvmvjv2; 05-10-2012, 09:50 PM. Reason: wrong year of motor

Its faily simple on 2 strokes, back the idle screw to where there is no adjustment. loosen all carburetor butterfly screws untill all the butterflies are completely closed. tighten butterfly screw. then adjust idle. Carburetors are now synced. Then you adjust the idle/air screws. turn in slowly (giving time for carb) till it lean pops. back out till it stops then add a 1/8-1/4 turn. Do this to all. Carbs should now be adjusted.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Thank you I will give it a shot. How about the ignition timming?

Comment

Working...
      X