Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I damage the electrical system

Greetings all,
    I have a 1990 100hp GT Johnson outboard that I am trying to get started. It started ok this time last year until the lake went down and I couldn't use it. I have gotten it started a few days ago, although for a brief time, because it was revving so high, I turned the idle lever down and it died. Since then, I have put in new gas(there was still some from last year) new spark plugs, and a new battery. I think the battery may be the problem now, because I wired it wrong. I switched it back as soon as I could, but I havn't been able to get any response when I turn the key. Should I check some fuses? Which ones should I check first? Could I have caused some damage to the electrical system? It was wired wrong for about 10 minutes. I felt some wires getting hot, so that is when I discovered my mistake.
    Any other suggestions would be appreciated
    Thanks,
    Jim

Could have carburetor problems to start. As for the battery, check all fuses. Yes you could have caused major electrical damage (rec/reg, cdi (powerpack)) look for burnt wires or burnt smell.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X