88 spl. missfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 spl. missfire

I have a 1990 88 spl. engine with low hours with an issue. The motor runs great off the trailer, starts easy, idles perfect, runs across the lake just like its supposed to. We drift fish so the problem shows up after the engine has been setting for as much as 30 min. When I go to restart, the engine is loaded up and requires full throttle to start. It doesn't run right the rest of the day. Always misses heading back to the dock and won't idle. On the next outing, once again, runs great off the trailer, then problem repeats itself. It has new plugs and i pulled the carbs, extremely clean. After pulling the new plugs back out, plug # 4 is fouled. Is there anything on #4 cyl. that has to do with fuel, such as vacuum or anything that might be different on that cyl?
    Last edited by 3dhunt; 05-11-2012, 02:25 PM.

any v-4 experts?

Comment

Varify that your choke solenoid primer is not stuck on.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

have you seen or heard of them sticking before, that is a thought.

Comment

Check the overide valve and lightly tap the solenoid to ensure the valve returns.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

red lever is in the correct position. Solenoid clicks, whether or not its closing enough and may be allowing fuel to pass by is the question. Not sure how to ckeck that just yet. I replaced fuel pump and checked comp. its all good. I thank you for your input. Keep it coming.
            Last edited by 3dhunt; 05-11-2012, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Correct lever position?

Originally posted by 3dhunt View Post
              red lever is in the correct position. Solenoid clicks, whether or not its closing enough and may be allowing fuel to pass by is the question. Not sure how to ckeck that just yet. I replaced fuel pump and checked comp. its all good. I thank you for your input. Keep it coming.
              Can anyone tell me what is correct position for the red lever on the elect primer? Cant seem to find out anywhere . Have 87 88 SPL with same problems as in this thread. I notice a tiny arrow on the lever .It rotates 180 degrees. All my other engines had a choke plate . this one primes the carbs. have not tried yet but had carbs cleaned and new fuel pump.thanks

Comment

Should be verticle for normal operation. Horrizontal for overide.
                Regards
                Boats.net
                Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

red lever

Thanks for initial reply.
                  Mine is mounted so if your standing looking down on flywheel lever is on top also . The only way I can move it would be 180 East to West so to speak.
                  My take is that it is a spool with a hole thru it and if lever is between the 2 outlet ports going to carbs it would allow a shot of gas to enter carb?
                  If lever is moved so its not between outlet ports it would shut off gas by closing off port ?
                  Another way of saying it would be lined up lever so its between 2 screws that hold end cap on primer?
                  Has anyone a picture of a primer mounted with lever is "correct position to run "
                  Once lever is in prpper place will we have move it again and for what reason?
                  Thank You once again! A pic ? Tim V

Comment

Working...
                  X