1976 20hp Johnson tiller..need help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1976 20hp Johnson tiller..need help!!

I hope someone can help me here or point me in the right direction.

I have a mint 20hp Johnson 1976 that was on a small fibreglass boat I bought. We are now looking for an inflatable to launch from the beach and I want to use this engine to power it. I bought a used tiller arm for it but for the life of me I can't get the shaft to be spring loaded to keep the gears together once its assembled on the engine.
    I think I might have something missing...I have the spring but there is only 1 brass thrust washer in there, a pin in the shaft, the twist grip etc. When I bought it, it had been taken apart , to remove it from the engine I suppose and maybe something got lost or maybe I am just not doing it right.

Does anyone have an exploded photo or diagram of how these common tiller arms go together. I think it was used on many OMC outboards in the 70's.

This is really doing my head in as its been a year now since I got it and just can't get anyone here in the UK to help.

Only diagram I have is the parts listing, 1970 20RL70C Evinrude / Johnson Johnson Outboard LOWER UNIT GROUP Diagram and Parts
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X