1973 Johnson 25 impeller...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1973 Johnson 25 impeller...

I have a 1973 johnson 25 horsepower motor... I need to change it out. I am not mechanically inclined though. I removed the 5 bolts on the lower unit and removed the two bolts beneath the metal plate mid way up the motor. When I try to lower the lower unit it will not come off. It just shifts to reverse from neutral. I am frusterated and would appreciate some guidance...

I found out the hard way hahaha

Hey there if you are trying to remove the lower unit, like on mine, you will have to remove a set screw that is on the shift linkage. If you look at it from the gear selector side of the motor follow that link from the gear selector and it will run to basically the middle of the motor (Where you think you cant get to it) If you are able to follow it all the way you will see that the shift linkage is hooked up to a small shaft sitcking up from the lower unit. That is where you need to disconnect it. Should be either a bolt or set screw. You will need some leverage to get at it. I removed my fuel pump to get at mine. Make sure you put it in Neutral before disconnecting it, it makes it that much easier upon reinstallation. Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
    X