1976 Johnson 70HP Outboard Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1976 Johnson 70HP Outboard Issues

I have some issues with this motor that i am having trouble with on my own so here goes.

Issue no 1 is the prop has about 1/4in of free play in and out. I can pull and push it in and out about 1/4 of an inch. Why? What may be the cause of this?

Issue no 2 is i am leaking oil from the lower unit from behind the prop. What seal/o-ring may be bad and where?

Issue no 3 is when i actually got it running again after 3 yrs of sitting it seems to idle VERY high. What are the idle specs of this motor and how would i adjust them?

Any and all help is graciously appreciated.

Thanks a bunch: New guy!!! Feel free to email me

Not sure if you mean prop moves on prop shaft or prop shaft moves in and out of gearcase that much, may need to disassemble gearcase and look for wear and replace prop shaft seals.
    It should idle at about 800 rpm's in neutral.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

yes the prop shaft moves in and out that much. Also how would i turn the idle down?? Let alone check it???

Comment

That would be excessive amount of play. The idle is set with throttle arm stop screw and carb pickup roller, consult service manual for proper adjustment.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

well i got the slack issue taken care of finally now to tackle the idle issue. Thanks guys!!!

Comment

Working...
          X