Buy Johnson Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1983 7.5 hp sheared bolt and gearbox stuck.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1983 7.5 hp sheared bolt and gearbox stuck.

I have aquired the above outboard, and on trying to remove the lower gear case have found that the long bolt at the front has sheared off at the head. The other smaller bolts holding the case came out with ease. Anyone have any tips on how to remove the case without risk of damage (i have already parted the gear case around half an inch) and remove the sheared bolt?

thanks.

Well sounds like you are hung on the shift shaft. Disconnect the shift shaft. The easiest way to remove the sheared bolt is to finish removing the lower unit. Then apply heat and vice grips.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

how do i disconnect the shaft? the manual says to put it in forward gear and it should disconnect? any help appreciated.

Comment

You would have to remove powerhead to gain access to disconnect shift shaft coupler
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

How does the power head come off? I cant find the info in the manual. Is it just bolts?

Comment

Yes there are just bolts holding the power head on. You of course will need to remove components like fuel hose, control cables, battery cables, etc.
            Last edited by boats.net; 03-16-2012, 10:29 AM.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X