Buy Johnson Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prop Choice & Other Questions - Johnson 20 HP (Model 20R73)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop Choice & Other Questions - Johnson 20 HP (Model 20R73)

Hello,

I recently purchased a 1973 Johnson 20 hp (Model 20R73) and will be using it on a 14ft Alumacraft. We will be loaded with probably 600 lbs of gear and people and the boat weights about 200. I noticed the prop with the motor is pretty beat-up.

Can someone recommend how to determine what prop I should get to replace this one? I don't want anything fancy (SS), just a basic prop to push me and my two kids around the lake fishing. I think this is a 9", 3 blade but I have no idea of pitch.

Also, I am pretty new to power-boating (previously sailed) and would apprecaiate any recommendations on operating the motor. The motor runs well at all throttle settings and I already bought a Sierra Impeller kit to replace the "water pump" as a precaution. Any other recommendations? The motor manual says I have to run at least 90 octane. I am using Penzoil 2-cycle oil at a 50:1 ratio per the prior owner/manual. Do I need to add any additives to the fuel due to the ethanol?

Thank you for any help you might offer,
    Robert

The standard prop for that motor is a 9x10 (0383629). If you are not having problems otherer than condition. I would replace it with the same. There is a lower pitch available P/N: 0763587.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

fuel pump woes

Hello again, same motor as mentioned below. My fuel pump is leaking (spraying actually) when I try to prime the fuel line bulb. Its sprays from the black plastic cap of the pump. I assume I need to buy a rebuild kit or new fuel pump. Can someone point me in the right direction? I looked at the parts diagram on boats.net, but do not know if I should buy the pump and all the parts listed or just A rebuild kit of just the parts that mayneed replaced. Please help.

Comment

Sounds like you need complete pump, repair kit may not fix leak.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X