Buy Johnson Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1979 Johnson SeaHorse 85hp V4 2-stroke or 4-stroke ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 Johnson SeaHorse 85hp V4 2-stroke or 4-stroke ?

HELP !! I'm new to boating and I just bought an old 1973 Invader 16ft boat with a 1979 Johnson SeaHorse V4 85hp. Model # 85ML79R. My question is this : Is it a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke ? The guy I got it from was a complete nimrod, and had no clue saying he never gassed it up but just used the gas that was in the little portable tank that was in it before he bought it... which he deemed as dirty before I looked over the boat and he changed it to raw gas. I'm thinking it's a 2-stroke, and if it is what's the ratio for the oil to gas mix ? Thanks for any information and for your time.
    Last edited by Haystack; 10-19-2011, 02:21 PM.

That is a 2 stroke motor.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by Haystack View Post
      HELP !! I'm new to boating and I just bought an old 1973 Invader 16ft boat with a 1979 Johnson SeaHorse V4 85hp. Model # 85ML79R. My question is this : Is it a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke ? The guy I got it from was a complete nimrod, and had no clue saying he never gassed it up but just used the gas that was in the little portable tank that was in it before he bought it... which he deemed as dirty before I looked over the boat and he changed it to raw gas. I'm thinking it's a 2-stroke, and if it is what's the ratio for the oil to gas mix ? Thanks for any information and for your time.
      That is a two-stroke motor and it is 50:1. Don't run it on the raw gas he put in the tank. You'll kill the motor from a lack of oil.
      By the way..... that is a great little motor. Strong as a baby tugboat and easy on fuel. Also has the more modern mid-section which utilizes the contemporary power trim and tilt design.

Comment

Working...
      X